Yacht Crew Jobs Data Shows Increase in Need for Crew
Updated: Nov 1, 2019
YPI CREW Releases 2018 Yacht Crew Jobs Data
YPI CREW, the global authority in yacht crew placement, has published its 2018 yacht crew jobs data lending us invaluable insight into the state of the hiring situation in the yachting industry.
Not only do these annual statistics help crew get an idea for career planing but they are a key resource for anyone involved in yachting – from owners and brokers to recruitment agencies.
The Need for Yacht Crew Rises
Data from 2018 shows that once again, the industry is expanding with an impressive 16% increase in the number of yacht crew job requests compared to 2017.
New candidate registration has increased by 8% all together in the past 12 months and 23% over the past 24 months, showing the appeal and growth of the yachting industry.
Yacht Captains & Officers take Heed
Only 4% of the jobs out there are for Yacht Captains with the remaining 96% being for yacht crew. With Officer registration hitting a record high in 2018 – it certainly heightens the competition for Captain roles and poses the question if there will be enough Captain jobs in the future. Something to think about if you are considering your future role in the industry as a yacht crew member.
Engineers & Steward/ess Registrations Increase
Thankfully 2018 was the busiest year yet in terms of steward and stewardess registration, helping fill the much needed gap on the interior side of things. YPI Crew’s data also shows that out of 16 years, 2018 was the 2nd busiest for Engineer registration – however as in 2017 most of them are seeking rotational contracts. Something else to consider if you are contemplating the deck to Captain role versus the Chief Engineer role.
70M Plus Yachts Hold the Majority of Yacht Crew Jobs
For the fourth year in a row, the data shows that the majority – 40% – of all yacht crew jobs are on yachts 70 Meters and up. Not only that, but the need for crew on board these yachts has risen 18% over last year.
Coming in second place for all yacht crew jobs are those on yachts between 51 – 70 meters. These mid-range yachts hold a 30% share of all available positions showing a slight drop over last years 32.2%.
Charter Yacht Jobs vs Private Yacht Jobs?
Those hoping to hold out for a job on board a charter yacht will be interested to learn that 66% of all yacht jobs are on board private yachts. With only 44% of all yacht jobs being on charter boats, crew will be wise to interview for private yachts as well.
Vast Majority of Yacht Crew Jobs are on Motor Yachts vs Sail Yachts
If you are hoping to get a job on a sailboat, they hold only 6% of the total available yacht jobs out there for crew, down from 10% last year. With over 94% of the jobs available onboard motor yachts, the superyacht industry is definitely trending over traditional sail yacht jobs.
Milestone Year for YPI CREW
2018 marked a milestone for YPI CREW. The leading yacht crew recruitment agency registered the most job orders and placements it’s ever made in 16 years.
“2018 was a productive year for YPI CREW; all the recruiters were fully engaged. This is the second consecutive year that we have registered record figures for job orders and placements. The yachting industry is flourishing. Finding qualified and experienced crew is hard, so captains and hiring managers are turning towards our crew agency to find solutions.” Laurence Lewis, Managing Director of YPI CREW
Yacht Crew Jobs Descriptions
For experienced crew members or those who are new to the industry, YPI CREW’s yacht job descriptions are an invaluable resource for finding exciting new challenges.
#YachtEngineerJobs #2018YachtCrewJobsData #YachtCrewJobsDescriptions #StewardessJobs #2018JobTrends #CharterYachtJobs #YPICrew #MotorYachtsvsSailYachts #YachtCaptainJobs #70MYacht #SailYachtJobs #YachtJobTrends #PrivateYachtJobs #YachtCrewJobs